It is the goal of Milan Special School District to provide eligible students the safest and most efficient transportation service in the country.
To ensure this:
The Bus Driver is in FULL CHARGE of the Bus and has ALL RIGHTS to make reasonable request to ensure SAFETY and CLEANLINESS of this bus!!!!
School Bus Rules and Regulations
Level 1 Offenses
- Bus driver has the right to assign seats, and may be directed so as a matter of policy.
- Students are expected to be at their bus stop at least (5) minutes before normal bus arrival time.
- If it is necessary to cross the street or roadway, students must wait until the driver signals them to cross, and cross the street or roadway 10 - 15 feet in front of the bus
- Bus seats must be shared with other students on a daily basis---- Limit of (3) students per seat. Drivers may assign any or all seats on the bus as they deem necessary.
- All books, book bags, backpacks, and other items must be kept out of the aisles/walkway. Carry-on items will not occupy another students seat, nor extend above the seat back.
- No windows or doors will be opened or closed without the permission of the bus driver.
- Students should always use the handrail when boarding or exiting the bus.
- Chewing gum, eating, or drinking any beverage is prohibited. (except water in plastic bottle only)
- The use of electronic devises or other items in manner that interfere with the safe operation of the bus or distract the driver is prohibited. This may include (but is not limited to radios, cd/tape/mp3 players, mirrors, lasers, flash cameras or other reflective devices.
- Students must observe classroom conduct. Ordinary conversation is permitted at the driver’s discretion.
- Students must remain seated and facing forward with feet on the floor in front of them.
- Student shall obey the bus driver at all times. Students shall respond promptly to any instructions given by the driver.
Level 2 Offenses
- Once students board the bus, he/she will not be permitted to exit the bus while in transit.
- Incidents involving students throwing items from the bus pose serious safety issues to other drivers and will be reported to the Transportation Supervisor.
- Students will not extend hands, arms, heads, and objects from the bus at any time.
- Horseplay will not be tolerated. Students will refrain from teasing, scuffling, tripping, holding, hitting, throwing items, or any activities that the driver may interpret as horseplay or deem unsafe.
- Loud, boisterous, profane language, obscene gestures, inappropriate display of affection, and conduct deemed indecent will not be tolerated.
- Animals, oversized objects, balloons, or glass containers are prohibited.
- Students must provide written permission from a custodial parent/guardian to ride a different bus other than the one assigned. Written permission is also required for a student to get off at a different stop than the one assigned (such as work, place of business, etc.) Students should provide the note to the school office/administrator and to the bus driver. All notes must go thru the school office and have an administrator’s signature to be honored; otherwise students will be taken to their normal destination. This should be done before 2:00 if at all possible.
- The rear door and escape hatch trigger an alarm when opened. They are only to be used to exit the bus in an emergency situation or a drill conducted by the driver.
Level 3 Offenses
- Fighting will not be tolerated. Students fighting on a school bus are subject to be transported by the Milan Police Department, to the local Police Department, or Tennessee Highway Patrol. Parents will be notified. Students who instigate fighting, but may not be actively involved may be subject to the same penalty or suspension as students involved in a fight.
- Bullying will not be tolerated. Students who are intimidated, harassed, or coerced by another should immediately report the incident to the driver and/or a school administrator.
- Students should avoid any behavior that may damage the bus in any way. Any damage to seats, windows, or equipment will be charged to responsible student(s) or parent(s). Bus service will be suspended until full payment is made.
- Possession of tobacco, matches, lighters, and glass objects are prohibited.
- Possession, use, transfer, or sale of alcohol, illegal drugs, possession of weapons (firearms, knives, explosives, etc.) or related paraphernalia.
- Battery upon a bus driver or monitor
Level 1 Consequences
1st Offense-----------Warning and Call home
2nd Offense----------School Level Punishment/Call
3rd Offense----------1-days bus suspension/Call
4th Offense---------- 3-days bus suspension/Call
5th Offense---------- 5-days bus suspension/Meeting with Transportation Supervisor
Level 2 Consequences
1st Offense------------1- days bus suspension/Call
2nd Offense------------3- days bus suspension/Call
3rd Offense -----------5- days bus suspension/ Meeting with Transportation Supervisor
Level 3 Consequences
1st Offense------------Disciplinary Action/ bus suspension TBD
2nd Offense----------- Disciplinary Action/(No Bus Service)
In the State of Tennessee, riding the bus is a privilege...Not a right!! The rules on this bus were created to make it a safe method of transportation for the student of the MSSD. We encourage all students, parents, and MSSD staff to make safety our first priority.